Special thanks to Alex for providing the intro quote for this episode and to Christian from Your Podcast Pal for his audio editing work on this episode!
The transcript for this episode can be found at this link.
- Allgor, Catherine. A Perfect Union: Dolley Madison and the Creation of the American Nation. New York: Henry Holt & Co, 2006.
- “An Act making provision for the further accommodation of the household of the President of the United States.” Annals of Congress, 10th Congress, 2nd Session. 1830-1831. https://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/ampage?collId=llac&fileName=019/llac019.db&recNum=910. [Last Accessed: 29 Jan 2022]
- Armstrong, Thom M. Politics, Diplomacy and Intrigue in the Early Republic: The Cabinet Career of Robert Smith 1801-1811. Dubuque, IA: Kendall/Hunt Publishing Co, 1991.
- Dungan, Nicholas. Gallatin: America’s Swiss Founding Father. New York & London: New York University Press, 2010.
- “Eustis, William, 1753-1825.” Biographical Guide to the US Congress. https://bioguide.congress.gov/search/bio/E000230. [Last Accessed: 29 Jan 2022]
- Feldman, Noah. The Three Lives of James Madison: Genius, Partisan, President. New York: Random House, 2017.
- Green, Constance McLaughlin. Washington: Village and Capital, 1800-1878. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press, 1962.
- Kaminski, John P. George Clinton: Yeoman Politician of the New Republic. Madison, WI: Madison House, 1993.
- Ketcham, Ralph. James Madison: A Biography. Charlottesville, VA and London: University Press of Virginia, 1994 .
- Landry, Jerry. The Presidencies of the United States. 2017-2022. http://presidencies.blubrry.com.
- Madison, James. “Inaugural Address, 4 Mar 1809.” Online by Gerhard Peters and John T. Woolley, The American Presidency Project. https://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/node/204053. [Last Accessed: 29 Jan 2022]
- Madison, James. “To William Eustis, 7 March 1809,” Founders Online, National Archives, https://founders.archives.gov/documents/Madison/03-01-02-0028. [Original source: The Papers of James Madison, Presidential Series, vol. 1, 1 March–30 September 1809, ed. Robert A. Rutland, Thomas A. Mason, Robert J. Brugger, Susannah H. Jones, Jeanne K. Sisson, and Fredrika J. Teute. Charlottesville: University Press of Virginia, 1984, p. 26.] [Last Accessed: 29 Jan 2022]
- Malone, Dumas. Jefferson the President Second Term, 1805-1809: Jefferson and His Time, Volume Five. Boston: Little, Brown and Co, 1974.
- McGuiness, Colleen, ed. American Leaders 1789-1994: A Biographical Summary. Washington, DC: Congressional Quarterly, 1994.
- Rutland, Robert Allen. The Presidency of James Madison. Lawrence, KS: University Press of Kansas, 1990.
- “South Carolina Governor Paul Hamilton.” National Governors Association. https://web.archive.org/web/20070930035647/http://www.nga.org/portal/site/nga/menuitem.29fab9fb4add37305ddcbeeb501010a0/?vgnextoid=266425330cd1a010VgnVCM1000001a01010aRCRD&vgnextchannel=e449a0ca9e3f1010VgnVCM1000001a01010aRCRD. [Last Accessed: 2 Feb 2022]
- White, Leonard D. The Jeffersonians: A Study in Administrative History 1801-1829. New York: The Macmillan Co, 1956 .
- Withey, Lynne. Dearest Friend: A Life of Abigail Adams. New York & London: Simon & Schuster, 2002 .
Featured Image: “Samuel Smith” [c. 1800], courtesy of Wikipedia