Special thanks to Chris Fernandez-Packham of the Age of Victoria podcast for providing the intro quote and to Alex Van Rose for his audio editing work for this episode!
- Gaines, William H, Jr. Thomas Mann Randolph: Jefferson’s Son-in-Law. Baton Rouge, LA: Louisiana State University Press, 1966.
- Giles, William Branch. “To Thomas Jefferson, 6 April 1807,” Founders Online, National Archives, https://founders.archives.gov/documents/Jefferson/99-01-02-5420. [Last Accessed: 31 Aug 2021]
- Jefferson, Thomas. “22 Jan 1807, Message to Congress on the Burr Conspiracy.” Online by Gerhard Peters and John T. Woolley, The American Presidency Project https://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/node/202052. [Last Accessed: 1 Sep 2021]
- Jefferson, Thomas. “To James Monroe, 21 March 1807,” Founders Online, National Archives, https://founders.archives.gov/documents/Jefferson/99-01-02-5326. [Last Accessed: 6 Sep 2021]
- Jefferson, Thomas. “To William Branch Giles, 20 April 1807.” Founders Online, National Archives, https://founders.archives.gov/documents/Jefferson/99-01-02-5478. [Last Accessed: 19 Sep 2021]
- Jefferson, Thomas. “To George Hay, 19 June 1807.” Founders Online, National Archives, https://founders.archives.gov/documents/Jefferson/99-01-02-5779. [Last Accessed: 19 Sep 2021]
- Jefferson, Thomas. “To George Hay, 4 September 1807,” Founders Online, National Archives, https://founders.archives.gov/documents/Jefferson/99-01-02-6320. [Last Accessed: 18 Sep 2021]
- Jefferson, Thomas. “Seventh Annual Message, 27 October 1807,” Gerhard Peters and John T. Woolley, eds. The American Presidency Project. https://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/node/202886. [Last Accessed: 19 Sep 2021]
- Landry, Jerry. The Presidencies of the United States. 2017-2021. http://presidencies.blubrry.com.
- Lewis, James E, Jr. The Burr Conspiracy: Uncovering the Story of an Early American Crisis. Princeton, NJ and Oxford: Princeton University Press, 2017.
- Linklater, Andro. An Artist in Treason: The Extraordinary Double Life of General James Wilkinson. New York: Walker Publishing Co, 2009.
- Lomask, Milton. Aaron Burr: The Conspiracy and Years of Exile, 1805-1836. New York: Farrar Straus Giroux, 1982.
- Malone, Dumas. Jefferson the President Second Term, 1805-1809: Jefferson and His Time, Volume Five. Boston: Little, Brown and Co, 1974.
- McGrath, Tim. James Monroe: A Life. New York: Penguin Random House, 2020.
- Smith, Jean Edward. John Marshall: Definer of a Nation. New York: Henry Holt & Co, 1996.
- Stewart, David O. American Emperor: Aaron Burr’s Challenge to Jefferson’s America. New York: Simon & Schuster, 2011.
- Tucker, Spencer C.; and Frank T. Reuter. Injured Honor: The Chesapeake-Leopard Affair, June 22, 1807. Annapolis, MD: Naval Institute Press, 1996.
- Wheelan, Joseph. Jefferson’s Vendetta: The Pursuit of Aaron Burr and the Judiciary. New York: Carroll and Graf Publishers, 2005.
Featured Image: “USS Chesapeake” by F Muller [c. early 1900s], courtesy of Wikipedia