Special thanks to Alex for providing the English version of the intro quote for this episode!
- Abernethy, Thomas P. The South in the New Nation 1789-1819: A History of the South, Volume IV. Wendell Holmes Stephenson and E Merton Coulter, eds. Baton Rouge, LA: Louisiana State University Press, 1961.
- Claiborne, William C C. “To James Madison, 2 January 1804,” Founders Online, National Archives, https://founders.archives.gov/documents/Madison/02-06-02-0254. [Original source: The Papers of James Madison, Secretary of State Series, vol. 6, 1 November 1803 – 31 March 1804, ed. Mary A. Hackett, J. C. A. Stagg, Ellen J. Barber, Anne Mandeville Colony, and Angela Kreider. Charlottesville: University of Virginia Press, 2002, pp. 274–278.] [Last Accessed: 29 Jun 2020]
- Davis, Edwin Adams. Louisiana: The Pelican State. Baton Rouge, LA: Louisiana State University Press, 1961 .
- DuBois, Laurent. Avengers of the New World: The Story of the Haitian Revolution. Cambridge, MA and London, England, UK: The Belknap Press of Harvard University Press, 2005 .
- DuBois, Laurent. A Colony of Citizens: Revolution & Slave Emancipation in the French Caribbean, 1787-1804. Chapel Hill and London: University of North Carolina Press, 2004.
- Egerton, Douglas R. “’Fly across the River’: The Easter Slave Conspiracy of 1802.” The North Carolina Historical Review. 68:2 [April 1991] 87-110.
- Eliot, Charles W, ed. American Historical Documents, 1000-1904, With Introductions and Notes. New York: P.F. Collier & Son, 1969 .
- Garland, Hugh A. The Life of John Randolph of Roanoke. St. Clair Shores, MI: Scholarly Press, 1970 .
- “The Haitian Declaration of Independence.” Office of News & Communications, Duke University. https://today.duke.edu/showcase/haitideclaration/declarationstext.html. [Last Accessed: 21 Jun 2020]
- Jefferson, Thomas. “To Albert Gallatin, 9 November 1803,” Founders Online, National Archives, https://founders.archives.gov/documents/Jefferson/01-41-02-0516. [Original source: The Papers of Thomas Jefferson, vol. 41, 11 July–15 November 1803, ed. Barbara B. Oberg. Princeton: Princeton University Press, 2014, pp. 689–690.] [Last Accessed: 29 Jun 2020]
- Landry, Jerry. The Presidencies of the United States. 2017-2020. http://presidencies.blubrry.com.
- Lerner, William, et al. Historical Statistics of the United States, Colonial Times to 1970: Bicentennial Edition, Part 1. Washington, DC: US Bureau of the Census, 1975. https://www.census.gov/history/pdf/histstats-colonial-1970.pdf. [Last Accessed: 11 Jul 2020]
- Malone, Dumas. Jefferson the President First Term, 1801-1805: Jefferson and His Time, Volume Four. Boston: Little, Brown and Co, 1970.
- Sublette, Ned, and Constance Sublette. The American Slave Coast: A History of the Slave-Breeding Industry. Chicago: Lawrence Hill Books, 2016.
- Turner, Lynn W. “The Impeachment of John Pickering.” The American Historical Review. 54:3 [April 1949] 485-507.
Featured Image: “Portrait of Thomas Worthington” by Charles Willson Peale [c. 1815], courtesy of Wikipedia