Special thanks to Alex for providing the intro quote for this episode!
- Adams, John. “To Cotton Tufts, 1 January 1800,” Founders Online, National Archives, version of January 18, 2019, https://founders.archives.gov/documents/Adams/99-03-02-0548. [Last Accessed: 8 Mar 2019]
- DeConde, Alexander. The Quasi-War: The Politics and Diplomacy of the Undeclared War with France, 1797-1801. New York: Charles Scribner’s Sons, 1966.
- Doyle, William. The Oxford History of the French Revolution. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1989.
- Ford, Worthington Chauncey, ed. Writings of John Quincy Adams, Vol. II 1796-1801. New York: The MacMillan Co, 1913.
- Hill, Peter P. William Vans Murray, Federalist Diplomat: The Shaping of Peace with France 1797-1801. Syracuse, NY: Syracuse University Press, 1971.
- Lambert, Frank. The Barbary Wars: American Independence in the Atlantic World. New York: Hill and Wang, 2007 .
- Landry, Jerry. The Presidencies of the United States. 2018-2019. http://presidencies.blubrry.com.
- McCullough, David. John Adams. New York: Simon and Schuster, 2001.
- McDonald, Forrest. The Presidency of George Washington. Lawrence, KS; Manhattan, KS; and Wichita, KS: The University Press of Kansas, 1974 .
- Miller, Hunter. “The Barbary Treaties 1786-1816, Tunis 1797: Hunter Miller’s Notes.” Avalon Project. Yale University. Source: Treaties and Other International Acts of the United States of America. Edited by Hunter Miller, Volume 2, Documents 1-40 : 1776-1818, Washington : Government Printing Office, 1931. http://avalon.law.yale.edu/18th_century/bar1797n.asp#n5 [Last Accessed: 8 Mar 2019]
- Schom, Alan. Napoleon Bonaparte. New York: HarperCollins, 1998 .
- Toll, Ian W. Six Frigates: The Epic History of the Founding of the U.S. Navy. New York and London: W W Norton & Co, 2006.
- Toth, Michael C. Founding Federalist: The Life of Oliver Ellsworth. Wilmington, DE: ISI Books, 2018 .
Featured Image: “USS Constellation engaging la Vengeance” by Irwin John Bevan, courtesy of Wikipedia